Blueberries are not normally eaten in our house fresh, I enjoy the taste of blueberry but whenever we buy a package they tend to be pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten. We’ve decided to start buying frozen blueberries and we keep throwing them into our smoothies, and bake with them…my favorite fruits to bake with. I love the sweet taste that comes out of the berries when cooked and I love that the flavour spreads perfectly and pairs well with many other flavours.
With the decision to try and not buy many (if any) pre packaged foods, I decided to try and test out some muffins this week that can be used as a quick snack. after looking through other recipes so that I could get the basics down, I decided to make a few changes, using only brown sugar, and my favorite healthy swap of using yogurt instead of buttermilk and I was very happy of how the muffins turned out and Lily (who does not really enjoy blueberries) gobbled them up!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup yogurt*
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Grease, or line a muffin baking pan (12)
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, add the brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, with a whisk or fork mix the egg, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until combined (the mixture will be lumpy) add the blueberries and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tin 2/3 full
- Bake for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven.
*For added flavour, use a flavoured yogurt, vanilla or blueberry or mix it up and use strawberry or even peach.
*Don’t forget to go like my facebook page @ahappinesshomemade