This week instead of testing out new recipes and making them my own I wanted to be nostalgic and take recipes from my childhood and try to change them up a bit and put my imprint onto classic recipes my mother would make for me when I was a little girl.
This recipe was my favorite as a young child and teenager. We would call them Jam cookies due to the tiny size and hint of sweetness from the jam, but the original recipe my mother went from years ago they were referred to as “Jam Filled Buns.” they have a flaky biscuit look and taste to them, and are perfect for a picnic, summer party or just a quick breakfast surprise.
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter (cut into cubes)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cold milk
- Jam (any flavor you wish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl combine the sifted flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Make well in center.
- Whisk together the milk and egg, then pour into the well of the flour mixture and stir well to form a soft dough. (use more milk if needed)
- On a floured surface knead the dough 8-10 times, pat or roll out the dough until it is about 2 cm thick.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut out circles and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Make deep hollow in top center of each biscuit. Drop small spoonfuls of desired jam into each hollow
- Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on your oven.