When warmer weather comes my search through cookbooks begin to change, were during the cold months I would look for casseroles, stews and soups during the warmer weather of spring and summer I look for marinades and side dishes mostly. I love putting anything on the grill, chicken, tofu, portobello mushrooms and burgers. Instead of spending my time cooking a full out meal on hot days I prefer to make a simple marinade and let my protein just soak in it all day, then pick a recipe for a side dish and prepare that. If you have a couple of side dish recipes in your back pocket summers meals can be simple and quick.
When looking through one of my vegetarian cookbooks I came across a photo of a delicious salad, an apple and bulgur wheat salad to be exact. Though I find it hard to enjoy a more savory dish with fruit (I look at fruit as a dessert so it is hard to wrap my mind around savory fruit) I liked the idea of the salad, I omitted the apples and a few other ingredients, added my own preferences and then switched up some of the dressing to make it to my liking, and that is when this delicious and fiber rich Cucumber and Bulgur wheat salad was born.
Cucumber And Bulgur Wheat Salad
- 1 cup Bulgur Wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cubed cucumber pieces
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot coins
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (or vegannaise)
- black pepper
- to rehydrate the bulgur wheat stir the bulgur wheat into boiling water, simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover until all of the water is absorbed, it will take around 15-20 minutes.
- In a salad bowl mix together the bulgur wheat, cucumber, carrots and bell pepper
- To make the dressing whisk together the mustard, honey, vinegar and mayonnaise, sprinkle with pepper to taste. Add the dressing to the bulgur wheat mixture, cover and refrigerate until needed.